Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inspired.....

So, when I decided to do this whole marathon thing, I knew I wanted to do it for someone besides myself and I wanted it to be difficult. I mean, if I am going to run for a charity, won't it motivate potential donors if I were doing something far more difficult than any physical test I have put myself through before. But, the question was, "What charities are worth the physical and mental stress that such a challenge demands?"

So, I made some facebook requests for charities and did a lot of research. There were a lot of really great suggestions, but I was only truly inspired by one. So, I will run for two causes. Two? You thought I said one? Well, the first was actually an idea I came up with prior to the request for suggestions that I couldn't abandon.

The first cause is one that I considered from the beginning- The Special Operations Warrior Foundation. This charity provides college education for surviving family members of special operations forces killed in combat or training. They also provide immediate financial assistance for special operations forces wounded in action. I think no matter how you feel about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, you have to appreciate those who are fighting it...especially those who give the ultimate sacrifice and their families. There's really not much more to say about this charity- I think we all know that these people could use our support!

This is my family and I could never imagine losing any of them!



So what's the second cause? The Children's Heart Foundation (Congenital Heart Defect Research). If you had asked me a month ago, I never would have told you this was an option mostly because I've never been exposed to anyone affected by a congenital heart defect(s)- at least, not to the degree that Cain Austin Clinkscales is. I went to college with Cain's parents. I never really knew them very well on a personal level; but, they had some of the same friends as I did so we often crossed paths. Cain's mother, Catherine, sent me a very inspiring message on Facebook. She told me about Cain and I read her blog. Cain was born with multiple congenital heart defects including Tricuspid Atresia, Hypoplastic Right Ventricle, Ventricular Septal Defect, Transposition of the Great Arteries, and a small aortic valve. As I read Cain's mother's blog, I couldn't help but think how lucky I was to have two children born with healthy hearts, especially since the gene for Long QT Sydrome runs in my family.

Before reading all of this, I never really know much about congenital heart defects, except for what I know about that family history of Long QT Syndrome. I did, however, discover that there is a profound need for congenital heart defect reseach and very few charities are actually committed to the cause.

As I continued to read the blog, another thing I thought about was how poorly I have treated my own heart over the last 15 years. I guess, to some degree, reading the blog inspired me to look in the mirror and be completely honest with myself! So, here I am sharing my honesty. I'm 33 now and since about the time I finished high school, my heart has been something I have taken for granted. I have abused it. Whether it be the foods I've eaten, the cigarettes I've smoked, the exercise I didn't do or the other unhealthy behaviors I have engaged in, I have abused it. Reading Cain's blog made me feel an immense amount of guilt! While I've abused my own heart, children were born who never really had a chance to live with a completely healthy heart. In fact, it happens more often that I realized. Did you know that congenital heart defects are the most common birth defect affecting 1 in every 100-200 babies. Maybe I'll get into more statistics in a later blog.

And so, these are my causes. I will run for them. I will raise money for them. I hope that everyone will find it in their heart to donate to one or both of them. Whether it be 5, 10, 20, 100, or 1000 dollars, I appreciate your donations and so do the families and children who will benefit from donations to both of these causes. I will keep everyone updated on my progress here. I don't know how often I'll post- maybe daily, maybe weekly, maybe monthly! I'll do it as often as I can; but, if the choice is to blog or run........you can find me running!

If you care to donate to either one of these great charities, you can visit the links below for my fundraising pages.

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

The Children's Heart Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment