Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Getting started (random thoughts)....

Yesterday was my first training day. On my way to running my first marathon, I have decided that I will go ahead and do my first triathlon, also. I have been wanting to dive into triathlons for some time; but, Amanda's last semester of school combined with a newborn baby and a work schedule that only my boss could love really made training difficult. Now that Amanda is done with school and Parker is sleeping all night, I feel like those 5AM swims will be much easier to make. So, my first 5AM swim in a few months is tomorrow morning.

I actually had 2 workouts on day 1. A swim and a bike ride. Both workouts went great, although the 1PM bike ride in 92 degree heat was a bit uncomfortable after a while. I guess I'd better get used to it since it's only June...should be really uncomfortable in late July/early August. No workouts today, though. Tuesdays and Saturdays will be rest days until late September just before the triathlon. My running mileage will start increasing a lot in mid-September, about 20 weeks before the marathon.

I weighed today- 199.3 pounds. The goal initially is to lose about 2 pounds a week until I lose about 25 pounds. I am trying to shave off some weight so that running is a bit more comfortable. I am targeting a daily caloric intake of a little over 1900 calories per day on off days and some added calories on workout days depending on the workout that day. If anyone is interested, Lance Armstrong's webiste has a really great application that you can also download to your Blackberry or iPhone. You can log your meals directly on your phone and synchronize it with the website. It makes calorie counting very easy since it can be done directly from your phone. You can also log workouts with the application and if you workout, it allots you more calories for that day. Definitely a cool program!

Keep Cain, Catherine and Brad Clinkscales in your prayers. Cain has his second surgery on June 5th. I know it's going to be a stressful time for the Clinkscales family.

Cain's mother sent me a link for a great video of the child of a Fox News journalist's son who was born with 5 heart defects. It's great that people are out there raising awareness.

Speaking of congenital heart defects. I read last week on his blog that David Goggins has been running ultramarathons and the Ironman Triathlon as well as other endurance events with an Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). Amazing that this guy has achieved what he has with a congenital heart defect of his own. He recently had surgery and is on the road to recovery. I am looking forward to seeing what this guys can do now that his ticker is fixed. He was really one of my primary inspirations behind the idea of doing an endurance event to raise money for charity.

Anyway, that's just a few thoughts from me...happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment